Hopscotch tiles – April OMG

April was a busy month for me quilting-wise. The first finish was April Flowers – an adorable baby quilt for the Island Batik April challenge. The second was Diamond Showers for the Be a Diamond blog-hop. April flowers was easy and quick. Diamond Showers was not. I’m proud I stuck to it and finished them both.

My April One Monthly Goal (OMG) was to finish piecing a UFO from over two years ago. This quilt is based on the Summer in the Park tutorial from the MSQC.

I used assorted strips of green from my stash. I inherited some of them from my aunt who got them from a consignment store she volunteers at. See story in Storied Dresden. I had cut some of the strips probably 4 years ago to make a scrappy lone star quilt like the one in Burnt Orange. The greens didn’t quite sing together, so that plan was shelved. I brought them out a couple of years later and thought they looked better with whites on both sides rather than bunched together. In addition to greens and whites, I used an orange floral print to give it a more garden/park feel. With the blocks done, piecing the top took just a couple of hours.

Top is done. Quilting to follow. May will be a busy month, so I don’t think I can get to it till early June. Linking to OMG hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts.
Also linking to UFO busting @ Tish’s

Tutti-Frutti & TGIFF

I’m super excited to host TGIFF (Thank Goodness It’s finished Friday) this week. Please click on the link at the bottom of this post and share your finishes and WIPs.

IMG_1095 (1)

I’d like to share my recent finish – Tutti-Frutti. Years ago I got a jelly roll of a batik line called Gelato by Timeless Treasures. My favorite ice cream flavor growing up was tutti-frutti. It has a light fruity flavor with bits of candied fruit called tutti-frutti. This fabric line of pinks and golds reminds me of tutti-frutti ice cream.

DSCN9218I made a small quilt for a mini quilt exchange some years ago but the rest of the jelly roll sat in a shoe box once again waiting for that perfect pattern to show up.

The perfect pattern was a non-pattern. I attached each 40″ strip to about 30″ strip of white background on both ends. I cut each the strip in half at with different lengths to give a random look. It took me for ever to work out the placement of the strips to get a random but balanced look that I was happy with.IMG_1102

cropped_IMG_1100For quilting, I tried out different border designs in each of the colored strips. In the background I went all out graffiti quilting with swirls and feathers and flowers and whatever I felt like.

 

TGIFF: Please link your finishes here.

This link will take you to another page with the linkup where you can add your link and see others’ links. My blog host (wordpress.com) does not allow embedded scripts, hence the external page that hosts the linkup.